27 July 2010

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Crack-Up.

This quote gives me some relief for the two books I'm listening to on my phone.

I'm listening to The Irresistible Revolution: Life as an Ordinary Radical by Shane Claiborne: a call to reject the world and insights into Claiborne's life as a "new monastic." He worked with Mother Theresa in India and returned to inner-city Philadelphia to set up a Christian commune for work with the poor.

Also on my Android is A Politically Incorrect Guide to Capitalism by Robert Murphy: a vapid expostulation on capitalism that insists that (a) deficits don't matter, (b) the environment would be better protected by industry, and (c) the minimum wage increases unemployment.

Vive la differance!

No comments: